Green Tip of the Week: Make Your Workplace Green
Here's how to make your workplace a "greener" place.
The following tip comes courtesy the Go Green Galloway Task Force for Sustainability:
Sometimes, people that are really diligent about recycling and energy efficiency at home are not necessarily that committed at work.
Sometimes the lack of motivation is driven by the company; sometimes by the maintenance staff not keeping recycling separate, and sometimes by co-workers. But whatever the cause, you can champion the movement to green your workplace. You will probably find that most people want to do the right thing but are not sure how to go about it.
Here are a few quick tips:
* Find out how the recyclables are being handled and request that memos go out to employees with specific instructions about what to recycle and where.
* Make sure that clearly marked recycling cans are located next to trash cans to make it convenient.
* Post signs above copiers to remind everyone to not waste paper and do two-sided copying.
* Use inter-office email instead of paper memos.
* Ask for post-consumer content when purchasing office supplies.
* Encourage your colleagues to bring mugs from home instead of using paper or plastic disposable cups.
* Save energy by turning off electronics when not in use and turning down thermostats in the winter and up in the summer.
* Carpool or take mass transit to work if at all possible.
For more information, call the Galloway Township Department of Community Education at 652-3700 ext. 209 or email email@example.com