Comcast kicked off the third year of Internet Essentials in Atlantic City at the Atlantic City Schools Title I Resource Center’s Back to School BBQ where nearly 2000 parents and students received free back to school supplies, a barbeque lunch, and the opportunity to attend free educational workshops. Five lucky families went home with new netbook computers courtesy of Comcast.
Comcast’s Internet Essentials is the nation’s largest and most comprehensive broadband adoption program. It offers Internet service for just $9.95 a month for families with students who are eligible for the National School Lunch program.
To increase enrollment and continue to help close the digital divide in America, Comcast continues to enhance Internet Essentials. This year Comcast:
· Increased Speed - For the second time in two years, Comcast has increased its broadband speeds for Internet Essentials customers up to 5 Mbps downstream and up to 1 Mbps upstream. On September 1st, Comcast will have more than tripled the download speeds for Internet Essentials customers since the program’s launch.
· Streamlined Enrollment – Comcast has further streamlined the enrollment process by expanding the instant approval process for families whose students attend schools where 70 percent or more of the students are eligible to participate in the National School Lunch Program.
- Expanded Eligibility – Comcast has expanded program eligibility criteria for the second time, to include parochial, private, cyberschool, and homeschooled students. Now, nearly 2.6 million families nationwide are eligible for Internet Essentials.
- Created an Online Application Tool – On InternetEssentials.com and InternetBasico.com, it is now easier and faster for a family to apply for Internet Essentials. This convenient online request form is available in English and Spanish and can be accessed through any Internet-enabled computer, tablet, or smartphone. It can be used by families on computers at community centers, local libraries or at a friend’s to request an application.
- Introduced Internet Essentials Opportunity Cards – Our community partners are now able to help connect low-income families to the Internet by purchasing Opportunity Cards that can be used toward the cost of paying for Internet Essentials service.
For information about Internet Essentials call 1-855-8-INTERNET or visit www.internetessentials.com.