Storm Victims Must Contact FEMA to Keep Temporary Housing

They must fill out a form.

Victims of Superstorm Sandy who received temporary housing from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) must fill out a form for additional short term rental assistance to keep their housing, FEMA announced this week through the county.

FEMA mails all applicants who receive temporary rental assistance the “Declaration for Continuing Need for Rental Assistance” form. It reaffirms that applicants have an ongoing need for temporary housing while they search for a permanent place to live.

  • This form is mailed 15 days after applicants receive their initial rental assistance grant.
  • Applicants who need additional rental assistance must complete the form and mail it back to FEMA at the address printed on the form.

  • If you don’t have the form, or have questions about temporary housing assistance, contact FEMA’s toll-free helpline by phone or 711/VRS at  1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or TTY 1-800-462-7585.

FEMA rental assistance lasts for a short-term period, so it’s important for survivors to have a permanent housing plan. Returning to a permanent home is a significant milestone on the road to recovery.

FEMA’s Individuals and Household Program may provide grants for temporary housing assistance, as well as medical, dental and funeral expenses, which do not require processing through the Small Business Administration (SBA) disaster loan process. However, applicants who receive an SBA loan application must submit them to SBA for possible consideration for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage.

--Press release from Atlantic County


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »