Galloway Auto and Tire in Galloway and Somers Point are two of the 15 garages in Atlantic County that is available for break inspection on “Put the Breaks on Fatalities Day” on Wednesday, Oct. 10, Atlantic County Sheriff Frank X. Balles announced on Tuesday.
Residents can have the free five-point inspection done between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m., Balles said. Galloway Tire and Auto is located at 339 Jimmie Leeds Road in Galloway and 420 New Road in Somers Point.
The other garages participating in the effort include:
* Guenthers Mobil 407 S New Rd, Pleasantville;
* Linwood Gulf Rt 9 & Maple Ave, Linwood;
* Midas Auto 24 N Albany Ave, Atlantic City;
* Rickys Garage 212 S Harding Hwy, Buena;
* Ed’s Auto 965 Rt 50, Mays Landing;
* Taylors Gulf 7901 Ventnor Ave, Margate;
* Bennett Chevrolet 6721 Black Horse Pike, EHT;
* Crescent Tire 325 White Horse Pike, Hammonton;
* Firestone Tilton Rd, Northfield;
* Tri-State Towing & Auto Repair 11th Terrace Egg Harbor City;
* Walkers Automotive 700 W Delilah Rd, Pleasantville;
* Truckmasters 847 S White Horse Pike, Hammonton; and
* Tomasellos Auto 5300 Ventnor Ave, Ventnor.
“Put the Brakes on Fatalities Day” is a national initiative aimed at encouraging drivers to obey all traffic laws, including buckling up, every ride; driving the posted speed limit; avoiding distractions while driving; and always being safe and sober behind the wheel, according to the Sheriff's Office.
Although there was a decrease in motor vehicle related deaths in 2011, there was an increase in New Jersey from 556 in 2010 to 627 in 2011, according to the Sheriff's Office.
“This initiative is something we hope will help New Jersey in our determination to decrease the number of tragedies that occur every day on our roadways,” Balles said in a release. “By drawing attention to this one day, we can help create a wave of support for good driving behaviors that can carry over throughout the year.
“Put the Brakes on Fatalities Day raises awareness about the responsible decisions drivers must make behind the wheel, such as buckling up, slowing down, and avoiding distractions. It also engages drivers in making positive changes behind-the-wheel every day of the year.”
Additional information on the “Put the Brakes on Fatalities Day” is available by logging on to www.brakesonfatalities.org.