Written by Joseph M. Gerace
Messages released Wednesday show top officials close to Gov. Chris Christie were involved with the Fort Lee lane closures that some have suggested were payback for crossing the New Jersey governor during his bid for re-election.
The reports contradict statements by Christie, who said his staff and campaign had nothing to do with the closure of local access lanes to the George Washington Bridge that caused a week worth of traffic jams for North Jersey residents.
Emails obtained by The New York Times and The Record show Bridget Anne Kelly, a deputy chief of staff to the governor, told a Port Authority official close to Christie that it was “Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee,” about two weeks before the lanes were closed.
“Got it,” replied the Port Authority executive, David Wildstein, who resigned last month as national media and incensed local politicians turned up the heat on the scandal.